Education & Work experience:
Prof. Yong-Qiang Tu was born in Guizhou Province, China, in 1958. He received his B.S. and M.S. from Lanzhou University in 1982 and 1985, respectively. In 1989, he obtained his Ph.D. in organic chemistry from Lanzhou University under the supervision of Prof. Yao-Zu Chen. He worked as a postdoctoral fellow with Prof. William Kitching at University of Queensland, Australia (1993-1995), and as a visiting professor at Bielefeld University, Germany (2004-2005). Since 1995, he has been a full professor at Lanzhou University. He was appointed as the vice-Director of Department of Chemistry of Lanzhou University (1996-1998), and the Director of State Key Laboratory of Applied Organic Chemistry (2001-2010). He was awarded as Yangtze River Scholar Professor by the Ministry of Education in 2005 and elected as an academician of Chinese Academy of Sciences in 2009. Currently, he is the Associate Editor of Chem. Commun., published by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
1. Synthetic studies of the biologically active marine natural products
2. Tandem reaction and its application to total synthesis of bioactive alkaloids
3. Studies on the construction of C-C or C-N bond via the C-H activation
Awards & honors:
1. 1992 Chinese Chemical Society Prize for Young Chemist
2. 1993 2nd Prize of Progress in Science and Technology, by the Education Council of China
3. 2000 Outstanding Youth Scholarship Award, by Qiu Shi Science & Technology Foundation, Hong
Kong, P. R. China
4. 2002 1st Prize of Progress in Science and Technology, by the Gansu Province
5. 2005 Lilly Scientific Excellence Award in China, by Eli Lilly & Company
6. 2006 1st Natural Science Prize, by Gansu Province
7. 2009 Member of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
1. Total Synthesis of the Nominal Didemnaketal A, Fu-Min Zhang, Lei Peng, Hui Li, Ai-Jun Ma, Jin-Bao Peng, Jing-Jing Guo, Dengtao Yang, Si-Hua Hou, Yong-Qiang Tu,* William Kitching, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 10846–10850.
2. Organocatalytic Asymmetric Direct Sp3 α-C–H Functionalization of Ethers: A Highly Efficient Approach to Chiral Spiroethers, Zhi-Wei Jiao, Shu-Yu Zhang, Chuan He, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Shao-Hua Wang, Fu-Min Zhang, Yong-Qiang Zhang, Hui Li, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2012, 51, 8811–8815.
3. Semipinacol Rearrangement in Natural Product Synthesis, Zhen-Lei Song, Chun-An Fan, Yong-Qiang Tu*, Chem. Rev. 2011, 111, 7523–7556.
4. Stereoselective Construction of Quaternary Carbon Stereocenters via a Semipinacol Rearrangement Strategy, Baomin Wang, Yong-Qiang Tu*, Acc. Chem. Res. 2011, 44, 1207–1222.
5. Direct Sp3 a-C–H activation and functionalization of alcohol and ether, Shu-Yu Zhang, Fu-Min Zhang, Yong-Qiang Tu*, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2011, 40, 1937–1949.
6. Total Synthesis of (±)-Alopecuridine and Its Biomimetic Transformation into (±)-Sieboldine A, Xiao-Ming Zhang, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Fu-Min Zhang, Hui Shao, Xing Meng, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2011, 50, 3916–3919.
7. Organocatalytic Asymmetric Halogenation/Semipinacol Rearrangement: Highly Efficient Synthesis of Chiral α-Oxa-Quaternary β-Haloketones, Zhi-Min Chen, Qing-Wei Zhang, Zhi-Hua Chen, Hui Li, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Fu-Min Zhang, Jin-Miao Tian, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 8818–8821
8. Organocatalytic Asymmetric Vinylogous α-Ketol Rearrangement: Enantioselective Construction of Chiral All-Carbon Quaternary Stereocenters in Spirocyclic Diketones via Semipinacol-Type 1,2-Carbon Migration, En Zhang, Chun-An Fan, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Fu-Min Zhang, Yan-Lin Song, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 14626–14627.
9. Bronsted Acid Catalyzed Enantioselective Semipinacol Rearrangement for the Synthesis of Chiral Spiroethers, Qing-Wei Zhang, Chun-An Fan, Hai-Jun Zhang, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Yu-Ming Zhao, Peiming Gu, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 8572–8574.
10. Iron-Catalyzed C(sp3)-C(sp3) Bond Formation via sp3 C-H Functionalization: A Cross-Coupling Reaction of Alcohols with Alkenes, Shu-Yu Zhang, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Chun-An Fan, Fu-Min Zhang, Lei Shi, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2009, 48, 8761–8765.
11. A Reaction for sp3-sp3 C-C Bond Formation via Cooperation of Lewis Acid- Promoted / Rh-Catalyzed C-H Bond Activation, Lei Shi, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Min Wang, Fu-Min Zhang, Chun-An Fan, Yu-Ming Zhao, Wu-Jiong Xia, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2005, 127, 10836–10837.
12. A Novel Tandem Semipinacol Rearrangement/Alkylation of a-Epoxy Alcohols: Efficient and Stereoselective Approach to Multifunctional 1,3-Diols, Xiang-Dong Hu, Chun-An Fan, Fu-Min Zhang, Yong-Qiang Tu*, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2004, 43, 1702–1705.
13. Samarium-Catalyzed Tandem Semipinacol Rearrangement/Tishchenko Reaction of a-Hydroxy Epoxides: A Novel Approach to Highly Stereoselective Construction of 2-Quaternary 1,3-Diol Units, Chun-An Fan, Bao-Min Wang, Yong-Qiang Tu,* Zhen-Lei Song, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2001, 40, 3877–3880.